Serve this with flatbreads, beans and yogurt relishes.
- 1/4 cup peanut or canola oil
- 1 to 2 hot fresh green chiles, very finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled and very finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and very finely chopped
- 1 ripe tomato (4 ounces), peeled after dropping into boiling water for 15 seconds, and then peeled and finely chopped
- 3 pounds spinach, cut crosswise into very fine strips
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
Put the oil in a large, wide pot and set over medium-high heat. When very hot, put in the chile, onions and garlic. Stir and fry until the onions turn medium brown. Add the tomato. Stir and fry for 2 minutes. Now put in the spinach and salt. Cover, allowing the spinach to wilt. Stir, turn the heat to medium, cover again, and cook for 25 minutes. Uncover, add the garam masala, and stir. Cook, uncovered, another 5 to 6 minutes, or until almost no liquid is left is left at the bottom of the pan. Turn up the heat during this period, if needed.