"Spontaneous Heating" Gumbo
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 1/2 pound buffalo sausage or other smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon gumbo file seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (recommended: Tabasco)
- 1 cup clam juice
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 cup pale ale (recommended: Firehouse Chukkar Ale)
- 6 ounces pollack or other white fish, diced
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1/2 pound okra
- 1 cup canned clams
- White rice, for serving
Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add the canola oil, chicken breast and sausages. Saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add onion and peppers and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the flour, spices, and hot sauce. Cook until the mixture thickens, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add clam juice, chicken stock, tomato juice and pale ale. Bring to a simmer and add the fish and shrimp. Cook until the shrimp and fish are done, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the okra and clams. Simmer for about 3 to 5 minutes. Serve over white rice.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.