Spring Harvest Salad
- 1/2 pound fresh beets
- 2 cups small fresh broccoli spears
- 4 cups torn young dandelion greens, washed and dried
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped boiled green peanuts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a medium saucepan, cook the beets in 1 quart boiling water until just tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain; allow to cool, then peel and dice. Set aside.
Rinse the saucepan and bring a second quart of water to a boil over high heat. Add the broccoli spears and cook until tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water to chill. When chilled, drain and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the beets, broccoli, dandeloin greens, green onions, garlic, parsley, cilantro and, if desired, the peanuts.
In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegars, honey, and salt and pepper. Pour this vinaigrette over the vegetables and gently toss to lightly coat all ingredients. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Dori Sanders