Squash Blossom Quesadillas
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 10 individual fresh squash blossoms, or 1 (6-ounce) can
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 sprigs fresh epazote, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (10-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/4 pound queso blanco, grated
Heat a large saute pan with a little oil and saute the onion, garlic, and the roasted poblano pepper for 5 minutes, until the onions have become translucent. Then, add the squash blossoms and deglaze with chicken stock. Add the epazote, and cook for another 5 minutes until squash blossoms have wilted. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside to cool.
To compose the quesadilla lay the 2 of the tortillas on a flat surface. Distribute the cheese equally on both tortillas. Then, spread 1/2 of the squash blossom filling over the cheese. Cover with the other tortilla, place on heated griddle on nonstick saute pan with a little oil, and cook for 3 minutes on each side. When nice and golden brown on each side and cheese has melted, remove and cut into quarters.
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali