Squash Flower Soup
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 pound (8 cups loosely packed) zucchini or other squash flowers
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup grated Anejo cheese
- 1 lime, cut into 6 or 8 wedges
In a stockpot melt the butter over moderate heat. Saute the onions with the salt about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer. Pour in the vegetable stock or water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook 10 to 12 minutes. Then stir in the flowers and cook 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Sift through a strainer back into the soup pot. Pour in the half and half and bring back to a boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot, garnished with the cheese and lime wedges.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.