St. Nino's Chicken
- 1 (3 to 4-pound) chicken
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil or olive oil
- 3 cloves finely minced garlic
- 4 fresh sprigs cilantro, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek (Georgian spice-utskho suneli)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 cup red wine (preferably Georgian)
- 1 empty soda/beer can
Prepare outdoor grill for indirect cooking.
First, clean inside cavity and outside of chicken, removing any remaining neck parts and fat. Next, pat chicken dry and rub chicken with entirely with oil. Then, combine minced garlic, minced cilantro, pepper, salt, fenugreek, and coriander seeds. Rub this mixture generously over chicken. Pour wine into empty can, removing tab on can and making 2 additional holes on top of can. Then, carefully place chicken cavity on can and transfer to grill, setting up chicken as a tripod on grill. Allow chicken to cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until juices run clear when pierced at thickest part of chicken thigh. When done, carefully remove chicken from can.
Recipe courtesy of Steven Payne, College Station, TX