- 1 (14ounce) package firm tofu
- 1 (1 pound) skinless, boneless salmon fillet
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 (1/2inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated finely
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound fresh spinach, washed and stemmed
- 3 scallions, washed and sliced thinly on the bias, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Cut tofu into four slabs and place on a thin cotton towel or piece of cheesecloth to drain. Slice salmon fillet into eight slices, each about 3/4inch thick. Place two salmon strips skin side together in a round, yin yang patty and place on top of each piece of tofu.
Place a rack above boiling water in a large pot with a cover. Place tofu/salmon on rack in steamer, surround it with the spinach, and steam, covered, for 4 to 6 minutes.
To serve, place a tofu/salmon in each of four shallow bowls and arrange hot spinach around edges. Pour soy mixture over each and sprinkle with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.