- 3 1/2 pounds chicken parts
- Lemon juice
- 4 scallions, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon West Indian curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Daddy's Herb Blend (blend of dried and ground oregano, thyme, rosemary, black pepper, and basil)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- Rice or mashed potatoes, for serving
Wash chicken parts. In a large bowl, combine lemon juice, scallions, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, ketchup, vinegar, sesame oil, cumin, curry powder, Daddy's herb blend, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add chicken to marinade and refrigerate overnight.
In a medium Dutch oven, combine 1/3 olive oil and the sugar. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and brush off the vegetables from the chicken pieces, reserving the vegetables. Turn the heat to medium and stir the sugar and allow it to caramelize as the pot gets hot. (It may smoke some so watch for your smoke detector)
Carefully, but quickly add the chicken to the pot and let the chicken brown in the caramelized sugar, turning the pieces as you go. Once all the chicken has browned, add the vegetables and marinade juices, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and let stew until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Half way through, season with salt and pepper.
Serve over rice or with mashed potatoes.
* Guest Recipe
A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.