Stone Crab Salad with Spicy Greens and Tomato Gelee
- 1 bunch basil, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch tarragon, roughly chopped, 10 leaves reserved
- 4 vine-ripe tomatoes, diced and blended
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 4 ounces vodka
- 6 sheets gelatin, soaked
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled
- 1/4 cup brunoise cucumber,
- 8 large stone crab claws, shells removed, knuckle meat reserved
- 1 tablespoon ver jus (sour green grape juice), may substitute white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1 cup micro greens, may substitute chopped arugula
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt, for seasoning
Place the basil, chopped tarragon, tomato and horseradish in a fine strainer over a container. Place in refrigerator and allow to drip for 3 days. Discard contents of strainer. Add the vodka to the remaining liquid.
Blossom the gelatin sheets in cold water until soft. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the herb-tomato liquid mixture to about 120 degrees fand dissolve the blossomed gelatin sheets in it. Using a small mellon-baller, cut the apple into small balls. Pour the gelatin-tomato liquid into 4 shallow 5 to 6-inch bowls. Garnish with cucumber, reserved tarragon leaves, and apples, dividing equally between bowls. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
In a small mixing bowl, place the stone crab knuckles, ver jus, creme fraiche, and powdered sugar. Mix lightly, trying not to break the crab too much. Lightly season with sea salt. Remove bowls from refrigerator; divide crab mixture evenly between the bowls. Top with micro greens that have been lightly seasoned extra-virgin olive oil and sea salt. Place crab on top and serve immediately.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of L'Escalier Restaurant at The Breakers Hotel
Avocado and Blue Crab Cakes with a Mango, Papaya and Macadamia Nut Salad Tossed with Spicy Cilantro Dressing
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse