Stove Top Fresh Tuna Stew
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 large garlic clove sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 ounce can anchovies, minced
- 4 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers (from the jar) cut into 1/4 -inch strips
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh tuna, cut into 1-inch dice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon each of nonpareil capers and slivered Nicoise black olives
- 1/2 cup (packed) fresh basil leaves, cut with scissors
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts for garnish
In a deep skillet heat the olive oil. Add the onion and saute for a few minutes. Add the garlic and 2 tablespoons of the wine. Cover and cook for a few minutes or until tender. Add the anchovies and remaining wine and evaporate until reduced by half.
Add the tomatoes and roasted peppers and simmer, over very low heat, uncovered while you start the rice and carrots.
When the rice and carrots are almost done, add the tuna to the tomatoes, cover and simmer 2 to 3 minutes just to warm through (you want the interior rare or the dish will taste as if you used canned tuna).
Recipe Courtesy of �Michelle Urvater