Strawberry White Pepper Shortcake
- For the strawberries:
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled (green part trimmed off), berries cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, plus a little more, packed
- For the biscuits:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream, whisked to soft peak
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
In a bowl, toss the strawberries with the 2 tablespoons vinegar and brown sugar, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Biscuits: In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the flour, salt, white pepper, sugar, and baking powder. Mix in the whipped cream until the mixture is moistened and just forms a ball. Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead briefly just to bring the dough together.
Use a rolling pin to roll the dough 1-inch thick. Cut with a 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter into biscuits. Arrange on a sheet pan and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
When ready to serve, split the biscuits in half horizontally. Place the bottoms on serving plates. On each, place a spoonful of strawberries with the syrup that has collected in the bowl, a dollop of Greek yogurt, and a sprinkling of brown sugar. Place the top halves of the biscuits on top. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy Gale Gand