Strip Steak with Rosemary Red Wine Sauce
- 4 boneless strip steaks (3 pounds total, 1-inch thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 cup canned condensed beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dark-brown sugar
Season steaks with salt. Press pepper on surfaces.
Heat oil in large heavy skillet over high heat. Add steaks. Lower heat to medium; cook, turning once, 4 minutes per side for rare, 6 minutes per side for medium-rare, and 8 minutes per side for well-done. Remove to warm platter; keep warm.
Add onion to skillet; cook until browned, stirring, 2 minutes. Add half the rosemary, half the garlic and cook, stirring, 20 seconds. Add wine. Increase heat to high; boil vigorously 2 minutes. Add broth, sugar and meat juices that have collected on platter. Boil 10 minutes more or until liquid is reduced by half, about 1 cup. Add remaining rosemary and garlic. Pour over steaks and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Family Circle Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Aida Mollenkamp