Striped Bass with Tomato and Basil Cream
- Tomato and Basil Cream:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup chardonnay (recommended: Wolffer Estate Selection Chardonnay
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Striped bass:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chardonnay (recommended: Wolffer Estate Selection Chardonnay)
- 1/4 cup verjus* (recommended: Wolffer Verjus)
- 1 (4 to 5-pound) striped bass fillet, cut into 6 equal pieces
- Salt and pepper
- *Cook's Note: Verjus is unfermented grape juice.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Make cream sauce: Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add scallion and saute until tender. Add tomato and basil. Add chardonnay and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add heavy cream, reduce the heat, and simmer until the desired thickness is reached. Keep warm until ready to serve.
After you have started the sauce, bake the fillet: place butter, chardonnay, and verjus in a baking pan. Season fish with salt and pepper and place in pan. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes, or until fish is cooked through; the fish should be opaque throughout and a knife should slide in easily.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Roman Roth, Wolffer Estates
Recipe courtesy of Alex Guarnaschelli