Stuffed Calamari with Peas, Sundried Tomatoes and Chilies
- 8 large whole calamari, about 1/2 pound
- 4 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 pound fresh peas, shelled to yield 3/4 cup, blanched and refreshed
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, soaked 1/2 hour in warm water
- 1 1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup basic tomato sauce
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Clean the calamari. Remove the tentacles, finely chop them and set aside. Remove insides, being careful not to cut the stomach. In a 12 to 14-inch saute pan, heat oil until smoking. Add calamari tentacle pieces and cook until opaque. Add peas, garlic and sundried tomatoes and stir through, about 1 minute. Add bread crumbs and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper and add parsley. Allow mixture to cool. Stuff bread mixture into each calamari until full and place in a 12 by 8-inch earthenware dish (just large enough to hold calamari and sauce). Add wine and tomato sauce and stir to settle. Place in oven and bake 35 minutes. Remove and serve.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Braised Calamari Stuffed with Shrimp, Spinach and Herbs, Braised Calamari Stuffed with Shrimp, Spinach, and Herbs, Shrimp-Stuffed Calamari with Polenta, Lobster Roll Recipes, Spicy Shrimp Recipes, Shrimp Scampi Recipes, Seafood Soup Recipes, Crawfish Recipes, Crab Cake Recipes