- 8 small (4-inches long) eggplant, halved, seeded, flesh removed and chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 8 plum tomatoes, seeded, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 4 anchovy fillets, drained, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted, cracked green olives
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan
- Olive oil
In a large saute pan heat oil add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent. Add reserved chopped eggplant flesh, zucchini and red bell peppers - cook until softened. Add rice. Add white wine cook until wine has evaporated. Add tomatoes, tomato juice and simmer for about 10 minutes or until mixture has thickened and rice is starting to soften. Remove pan from heat and stir in bulgur, anchovies, olives, capers, pine nuts, oregano, thyme, mint and salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Stuff eggplant halves loosely with mixture and arrange on a lightly oiled roasting pan. Top with a mixture of breadcrumbs and Parmesan and bake for 1 hour or until eggplant and breadcrumbs are golden brown. Serve lukewarm.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.