- 4 large mirlitons (also known as chayotes)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup shrimp, cooked and chopped, or 1 pound bulk sausage, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (plain or Italian)
Cut mirlitons in half lengthwise. Remove seeds in center. Boil until tender. Scoop out flesh, reserving shell for stuffing. Mash the flesh.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat oil in a 9 to 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery and saute until tender. Add mashed mirliton flesh, shrimp (or sausage), 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs, seasoned salt, and cayenne pepper and stir to combine. Fill mirliton shells with this mixture. Cover with remaining bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until browned. This can be served as a main dish and it also freezes well.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen