Stuffed Pepper Served an a Marinated Portobello
- 1 large portobello mushroom cap
- 3 ounces balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1/2 cup, plus 1/2 cup
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced
- Kosher salt
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced, plus 1 large, top removed and seeded
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, plus 1
- 1 cup diced plum tomatoes
- 1 cup diced asparagus, plus 1/2 cup
- 1 cup white wine, plus 1/2 cup
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 (8-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 lemon, juiced
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
To marinate the Portobello Mushroom:
In a deep bowl place mushroom cap, balsamic vinegar, salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil then mix well with hands. Finish mixture with torn pieces of basil and thyme (about 1/2 bunch of each) to release natural oils. Let stand for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes place mushroom on hot grill or broiler for 2 minutes on each side, slightly charring the outside while keeping the inside raw. Set aside
To prepare eggplant:
In a large deep bowl place slices of eggplant, apply kosher salt liberally to each slice, repeat in layers. Take a plate and put it on top of the eggplant and apply weight on the plate using anything that weighs a couple of pounds. Let stand for 1 to 2 hours, then rinse drain and pat dry until all water is removed. Finally dice into cubes for stuffing.
To prepare stuffing for pepper:
In hot saute pan add 1/2 cup olive oil until shimmering, then add diced pepper, onion, 2 cloves garlic, tomatoes, remaining basil and thyme, 1 cup of the asparagus, eggplant, salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Saute until ingredients brown and you can smell the garlic (about 3 minutes) at this time add 1 cup white wine scraping bottom of saute pan let simmer for 1 minute. In a separate bowl mix the cooked rice with the stuffing. If stuffing appears to dry add more olive oil.
To prepare beans:
In a hot saute pan add 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 clove garlic, remaining 1/2 cup asparagus and beans, and saute for 2 minutes, Add lemon juice, remaining 1/2 cup white wine, and salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Let simmer for 3 minutes until mixture is tight.
To assemble plate:
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.