Stuffed Razor Clams with Alaskan King Crab Rice Filling and Panko-Crusted Razor Clam Strips on Cabbage Slaw
- For the stuffed clams:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 6 shucked and cleaned razor clams chopped, about 1 cup chopped clam meat, shells reserved
- 1/2 cup scallions, white and green parts, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup short grained sushi rice, washed, cooked and cooled, as for sushi (about 2 cups cooked)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped Alaskan King crab meat
- 1 1/2 quarts sea water, mixed with 1 cup Bull kelp
- **Sea water with Bull kelp can be substituted with regular water mixed with a pinch of sea salt and 1 sheet of nori.
- For the Cabbage Slaw:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- l lemon, juiced
- l lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1/2 cabbage, shredded
- For the Clam Strips:
- 3 to 4 cups canola or peanut oil, for frying
- 6 shucked and cleaned razor clams
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon coarse or kosher salt
- 8 scallions, green and white parts, finely chopped
For the stuffed clams: Heat a wok over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and swirl to coat the pan. When the oil shimmers, add the garlic and ginger, and stir-fry about 2 minutes until soft. Add the chopped razor clam meat, scallions, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and mix lightly. Fold the mixture into the rice with the chopped crabmeat.
Divide the filling among 6 razor clam shells. Pour the sea water mixed with the kelp into a wok fitted with a steamer. Bring the water to a boil and place the stuffed clams in the steamer. Cover the steamer and cook until heated through, about 10 minutes.
For the Fried Clam Strips: Heat the oil in a wok or other deep frying vessel to about 350 degrees F.
Dip the clam strips, first in flour, then egg, then panko, to coat. Drop into wok and deep fry 2 to 3 minutes until crisp and brown. Drain on paper towel lined plate, then salt immediately with coarse salt.
Plating: Mound cabbage slaw on plate. Top with steamed stuffed clams. Surround with deep fried clam strips and garnish with scallions.
Beverage: Pacific Eliao Rose