Stuffed White Mushrooms with Pecans
Sponsor recipe courtesy of Fisher® Nuts
"I really love this type of dish because it can be an appetizer or side dish depending on how you serve it. The pecans are a rich and welcome[ guest at this party, because the white mushrooms are light and slightly tangy from the Vermouth and sour cream. The pecans also add great texture." - Alex Guarnaschelli]
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 2 small cloves garlic, grated
- 40 large white mushrooms, stems removed, about 2 1/2 pounds
- 1/4 cup dry Vermouth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Fisher® Pecan Halves, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs, toasted
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the diced onion. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and pepper and cook until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add the grated garlic and lower the heat to medium-low. Add the mushrooms. Season with remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Cook until the mushrooms are tender and a lot of the liquid has evaporated at the bottom of the pan, 5-8 minutes.
2. Add the Vermouth to the mushrooms and cook until the flavor of the alcohol has mellowed considerably, 5-8 minutes. Add the sour cream, reduce heat to low and allow it the sour cream to melt. Remove 24 of the largest mushrooms from the pan, reserving sour cream mixture in pan. Arrange the mushrooms on a baking sheet and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove remaining mushrooms from pan and place them on a cutting board, allow to cool slightly and roughly chop into smaller pieces. Toss them in a bowl with the Parmesan cheese, pecans and breadcrumbs. Stir in ¼ cup of cooking liquid.
4. Fill each of the reserved mushroom halves with some of the stuffing. Don't be afraid to press and mold the stuffing on top of each mushroom.
5. Bake in the oven 12 to 15 minutes or until hot and tops are browned. Place the mushrooms under the broiler for a minute or two to brown tops, if needed. Reheat reserved sour cream sauce and plate with stuffed mushrooms. Drizzle with Balsamic vinegar and serve immediately.
Notes: Substitute white wine for vermouth, if desired. Use lemon juice as a drizzle in place of Balsamic vinegar.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.