Sugarcane Skewered Sea Scallops with Mango Hearts of Palm Slaw and Scotch Bonnet Sugarcane Syrup
- 8 large sea scallops
- 4 sugarcane skewers
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1/2 cup medium diced mango
- 1/2 cup medium diced jicima
- 1/2 cup hearts of palm
- 1/4 cup medium diced red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1/4 cup mango puree
- Sugarcane syrup:
- 2 cups sugarcane juice
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced Scotch Bonnet pepper
- 4 allspice berries
- 1/2 cup lime juice
To make the skewers, place 2 scallops on each skewer and set aside.
For the marinade: Mix all of the ingredients together in 1 bowl, and pour over the scallops. Let the scallops marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
To prepare the slaw, toss all of the ingredients together in 1 bowl and refrigerate.
To serve, use a hot pan or a grill and cook the scallops until desired doneness. Place the relish in the middle of the plate and rest the scallop skewers against the slaw. Drizzle the syrup around the plate.
Recipe courtesy Hubert Des Marais, Four Seasons Hotel, Palm Beach, Florida
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse