Sun-Dried Tomato, Black Olive and Mozzarella Orzo Gratin
- 1/2 pound orzo
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup diced fennel
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 16 -ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 cup light cream combined with 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled
- 2/3 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup sliced pitted oil-cured olives
- 1/2 pound fresh Mozzarella, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a pot of boiling salted water cook the orzo until al dente and drain. Transfer to a large bowl. In a large skillet cook the onion and fennel in the butter over moderately low heat, covered, for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cream mixture, rosemary and salt and pepper and simmer the mixture for 5 minutes. Add the vegetables to the bowl containing the orzo and stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, olives, all but 1/4 cup of the mozzarella cheese, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the mixture to a buttered 1-quart baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.