Beefy Butternut Squash Chili
Sunny caramelizes the onions and peppers before the beef is added to give some depth of flavor and sweetness.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound beef chuck or stewing meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 cup seeded and chopped red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, grated on rasp or finely minced
- 1 pound ground chuck (80% lean)
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 1/2 cups red wine (any inexpensive Chianti)
- 2 tablespoons fine cornmeal
- One 1 1/2-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, beef cubes and half of the seasoning. Cook until the beef is browned on all sides but not cooked through, about 7 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon to a plate. Add the onions, bell peppers, tomato paste, hot sauce and garlic. Stir and cook until everything turns a dark reddish brown, about 10 minutes. Add the ground chuck and sprinkle over the remaining seasoning. Stir and cook until the beef is browned, and then add the reserved beef chunks back to the pot along with the stock, wine, cornmeal and squash. Raise the heat until it comes to a boil, and then lower to a simmer. Cover and cook until the beef is tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover and let the chili cook until it is thick and the liquid is reduced, another 15 minutes.
From Food Network Kitchens; after further testing and to ensure the best results this recipe has been altered from what was in the actual episode.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Squash-tastic Shepherd's Pie, Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Paneer (Indian Cheese) Croutons and Turmeric Oil, Sweet and Sour Butternut Squash---Zucca in Agrodolce, Easy Mexican, Beef Stew Recipes, Turkey Chili Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Pepper Steak Recipes, Baked Chicken Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.