Creamy Stove-top Mac and Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 small onion, grated with juices retained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream, room temperature
- 8 ounces
- Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces sharp Cheddar, shredded
- 1 pound baby shell pasta, cooked al dente
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions, including juices, and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, white pepper, paprika, and salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Cook for a few minutes to let the flavors bloom, and then slowly stir in the heavy cream. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and cook until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Add the cheeses and stir until melted, then remove from heat. Stir in the pasta and toss until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve warm garnished with parsley.
Recipe courtesy of Sunny Anderson, 2009