Mommy Anderson's Caesar
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small ciabatta loaf, cubed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 to 3 anchovies, oil drained and rinsed in warm water
- *1 egg yolk
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 heads romaine lettuce hearts, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup shaved Asiago cheese
In a large frying pan, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan and toast cubed bread over medium heat until golden brown. Remove from heat, season with salt to taste and reserve.
In a large bowl add garlic, anchovies, salt and pepper, to taste. Mash with the back of a fork. Whisk in the yolk and lemon juice. Slowly drizzle in oil, whisking until emulsified. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Add lettuce, cheese, and croutons and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.
Recipe courtesy of Sunny Anderson, 2008