Shrimp and Chorizo in Garlic Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound spicy Mexican chorizo, casing removed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet or Vidalia onion
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled deveined shrimp (16/20 count)
- Crusty, chewy bread, for sopping
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
In a medium straight-sided pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat and saute the chorizo and onions, breaking the chorizo up with a wooden spoon while cooking until it resembles ground beef. Add the adobo, paprika and a few grinds of black pepper. Cook until the fat is rendered and the onions are tender and cooked into the chorizo, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the remaining oil and the garlic and lower the heat to medium-low. Let the flavors infuse over the low heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the shrimp to the garlic oil, raise the heat slightly, and stir and turn to cook the shrimp evenly, 6 to 8 minutes. Serve as an appetizer on toothpicks with crusty, chewy bread.
Recipe courtesy of Sunny Anderson, 2011
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray