- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (recommended: Indian Head)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup frozen yellow corn, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk, plus extra to thin batter
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- Maple syrup, for serving
In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
In a cast iron pan on medium-high heat, add enough vegetable oil to fill the pan about 1/2-inch deep. When the oil begins to swirl, add the batter in batches to the pan using a small ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measure to make each hoecake. Gently spread into a circle, if needed. Flip the hoecakes when the air pockets begin to pop on the surface of the batter and a peek underneath the cake reveals a golden rim and surface, about 2 minutes.
Once the second side is golden brown, transfer the hoecakes to a baking sheet in a warm oven and continue making the rest. Serve with maple syrup.