- 1 pound Italian sausage, remove from casing and break up or chop
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup finely chopped Vidalia or sweet onion
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 packets Hidden Valley® Homestyle Italian Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- 4 cups plain stuffing cubes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus more for texture
- Cooking spray
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Saute the sausage. In a large pan on medium-high heat, add olive oil and sausage. Cook until heated through and browned. Remove to a large bowl along with any remaining fat from the pan.
Saute the vegetables and fruit. In the same pan add butter and melt on medium heat. Add scallions, celery, onion, cranberries and Hidden Valley® Homestyle Italian Dressing & Seasoning Mix. Cook while stirring until the vegetables are tender and cranberries become a bit plump, about 6-8 minutes. Remove all to the bowl with the sausage.
Mix stuffing. Add stuffing cubes to the bowl and toss. Pour over the chicken stock adding 1/4 cup or so more if cubes are not moist enough, this should feel like thick mashed potatoes.
Bake stuffing. Coat the bottom and sides of an 8" x 8" baking dish with cooking spray. Pour in stuffing and press down, leveling off the top with a rubber spatula or back of a spoon. Bake until top is golden, about 35-40 minutes.