- 1 cup rice, brown, medium-grain, cooked
- 1/2 -cup quinoa
- 2/3 -cup sweet red peppers, raw
- 4 oz. white tuna, canned in water, drained solids
- 2 Tbs. seaweed or kelp, raw
- 1/2 -cup shiitake mushrooms, cooked without salt
- 1/2 -cup carrots, raw
- 1/2 -cup cucumber with peel, raw
- 1/2 oriental radish, 7 inches long, raw
- 1 Tbs. sesame seed kernels, toasted without added salt
Cook the brown rice and quinoa in 3 cups of water (35-40 min.). Bring to a boil for 2 minutes and then reduce heat. Do not stir. Once cooked, remove the lid and drape a tea towel over grain for 10 minutes to cool. Transfer the grain to a ceramic or wood bowl, using a wood paddle to fluff the grain. Mix together the sushi vinegar by combining 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar and 1 tablespoon of honey. Add sushi vinegar slowly to prevent sticking.
Place a sheet of nori on a sushi mat. Cover the entire sheet with grain, leaving an inch on the bottom and top. Add fillings across the center of the roll. Make sure they're evenly distributed and do not over stuff. Tap a wet finger across the top flap of the nori sheet to ensure a good seal and roll the mat with a firm squeeze. Slice in 1/2-inch slices with an extra sharp knife. Enjoy with wasabi, ginger and a dab of tamari.
This recipe is brimming with immune building ingredients. Selenium is an important anti-oxidant for fighting cancer and one red pepper contains 6 times more vitamin C than an orange. The brown rice and quinoa make it low-glycemic.
Nutrition facts, per serving: calories, 85; fat, 1.4g; carbohydrate 13.8g; protein 4.8g
Thank you! your flag was submitted.