Sushi Rice Risotto
- 1 1/2 cups cooked short-grain white rice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sushi vinegar, recipe follows
- 3 cups Dashi, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon light-colored soy sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh wasabi (* Chef's Note)
- 1 tablespoon shredded nori (kizami nori)
- 3 or 4 sprigs mitsuba leaves, minced, or chopped scallions or chives, for garnish
- Sushi Vinegar:
- 1/2 cup sake-mash vinegar (akazu), or regular white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 piece dashi kombu, 4 by 6-inches
- 4 cups filtered spring water
- 1/2 cup loosely packed bonito flakes
This recipe offers a quick and delicious way to use leftover rice. Of course, markets sell pre-seasoned sushi vinegar, but it is easy and much better to make it yourself so you can control the amount of sweetness and tartness.
Reheat the cooked rice in a steamer or microwave. Put the hot rice in a bowl and toss with the Sushi Vinegar. Let cool.
Add the light-colored soy, then pour the eggs right over the rice without stirring. Cook for 10 to 15 seconds, until the eggs are barely set. Remove the pan from the heat.
Divide the rice among individual bowls and top each with wasabi, nori, and mitsuba. Serve immediately.
* Chef's Note: In this recipe, frozen wasabi paste or paste made from the powder may be substituted if fresh is unavailable.
In a large bowl add all the ingredients and stir to dissolve the sugar. Pour into a covered container. The sushi vinegar will keep for at least 2 months
The night before using the dashi, wipe the kombu clean with a wet kitchen towel to remove any grit, but do not rub off the white powder; much of the flavor lies in its natural MSG. Place in a medium saucepan and add the spring water. Let stand at room temperature overnight.
The next day, remove the kombu and bring the water to a simmer over medium heat. When it reaches a boil, remove from the heat and add the bonito flakes. Let stand until the bonito flakes sink to the bottom of the saucepan, about 15 minutes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.