- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 2 3/4 to 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
In a mixing bowl or standing mixer cream together the butter and sugar until light. Beat in 1 egg and mix in the molasses, orange juice, and zest. Sift together the dry ingredients and stir them into the wet ingredients to make a soft, smooth dough, adding more flour if dough is too sticky. Knead the dough three times on a lightly floured board.
Shape the dough into 3 logs, about 8-inches long, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Slice logs into thin circles, less than 1/8-inch thick. Place on lightly greased baking sheets.
Bake cookies for about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a rack to cool.