Sweet and Sour Long Beans
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 3 1/2 cups water or stock
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 1 1/2 pounds yard long beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces (regular green beans can be substituted)
To cook the rice: Place the rice and water in a glass-measuring cup large enough to hold them or any microwave safe bowl. The rice expands a lot during cooking, so choose a container large enough to accommodate the final product. Microwave on high, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Microwave on medium-low, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Do not stir the rice at any time during the cooking process. Season with salt and fluff with a fork just before serving.
In a large skillet or wok pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add pork and cook until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the beans and toss until well coated. Cook 7 to 10 minutes or until beans are almost cooked. Increase heat to high, add the sauce and cook until sauce reduces and thickens, about 5 to 6 minutes. Serve immediately over hot rice.