Sweet Cherry and Apricot Cobbler
- 3 cups self-rising cake flour
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, plus 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 pounds fresh apricots, rinsed, halved, pitted and sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh sweet cherries, rinsed and pitted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Buttermilk and sugar, for finishing
For the Buttermilk Biscuit Crust, place flour in a bowl and rub in 1 1/2 sticks of butter until fine and mealy. Do not allow to become pasty. Stir in 1 cup of the buttermilk, adding the remainder if necessary. Press dough together on a floured surface, wrap, and allow to rest while preparing filling.
For the filling, combine the apricots and cherries in a bowl and toss with sugar. Pour into a buttered 2 1/2 to 3-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish. Dot with 3 tablespoons of butter and sprinkle evenly with the almond extract.
Press the dough out on a floured surface until roughly the size of the baking dish. Lift dough onto filling and cut several vent holes in top. Brush with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake the cobbler at 450 degrees about 20 minutes, until crust is well colored and filling is bubbling. Cool slightly on a rack and serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Recipe courtesy of Nick Malgieri