Sweet Potato Blinis with Cured Salmon, Creme Fraiche, and Caviar
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus 2 ounces
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche
- 2 ounces caviar, your choice
- 1/2 pound gravlax or other cured salmon, sliced thinly
- Dill sprigs, for garnish
Place prepared sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, and cook until the potatoes are tender and can be mashed easily with a fork. Drain well and return to the saucepan. Add the honey and 4 tablespoons of the butter and mash until smooth. If possible, puree this mixture in food mill. In a small bowl, combine the milk and eggs and stir in the sweet potato puree. In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne. Add the dry ingredients to the sweet potatoes and stir until just blended.
Melt the remaining butter and reserve. Heat non-stick skillets over medium-heat and coat with some of melted butter. Drop sweet potato mixture into skillets in 1 1/2-tablespoon amounts. Turn once, cooking until golden and crisp, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a large baking sheet. Repeat the process with the remaining butter and batter. The pancakes can stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Reheat in a 325 degree F. oven for 5 minutes before serving.