Sweet Potato Fritters
- Canola oil
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 cup)
- 4 tablespoons melted salted butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped chives (reserve 1 tablespoon for sour cream topping)
- 1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen corn
- 1 cup sour cream
In a shallow pan, heat oil to 350 degrees F.
Score sweet potato with a fork and microwave on high for 6 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool. Cut sweet potato in half, scoop out the flesh, and place it into a mixing bowl with the butter. Mash well. Add egg, bread crumbs, flour, salt, and pepper and mix well. Add the chives and corn and mix gently. Using 2 spoons to shape, scoop mounds into hot oil, cooking on both sides, in batches, until golden brown. With a slotted spoon or spider, remove fritters from oil and place on paper towel to dry. Mix sour cream, reserved chives, salt and pepper, to taste, and place a small dollop on each fritter when ready to serve.
Note: A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy of Bonnie Stoilkovich and Jil La Marca