Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- Total Time:
- 3 hr 55 min
- 15 min
- 1 hr 45 min
- 1 hr 55 min
- 6 servings
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced 1 cup buttermilk 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 1 tablespoon light butter 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 cups white button mushrooms, wiped clean 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 1 cup beef broth
- 1 pound turkey thighs, roasted and shredded, skin removed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place the sweet potatoes into a nonstick saucepan. Cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer and cook until fork tender. Drain well. Mash with potato masher. Add buttermilk, cinnamon, and light butter and continue mashing until well blended. In a separate nonstick saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add carrot and mushrooms and continue sauteing for 1 minute or until the mushrooms are soft. Add tomato paste and steak sauce and mix until well blended. Sprinkle flour into the mixture. Mix with a wooden spoon until the flour has absorbed all of the moisture. Slowly pour the beef stock into the mixture and stir to blend completely. Add the shredded turkey and simmer until the sauce is thick. Pour the turkey mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with the sweet potato mixture. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the sweet potatoes are slightly browned.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.