Swick and Swick Chili
- First ingredient group:
- 44 ounces beef, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- Vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 5 medium garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
- Second ingredient group:
- 2 medium whole green seeded and finely chopped chile peppers
- 8 ounces beef broth
- 4 ounces Mexican hot-style tomato sauce
- 4 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- Third ingredient group (spices):
- 1 1/4 tablespoons ground cumin
- 10 1/4 tablespoons chili powder (8 tablespoons California and 2 1/4 tablespoons New Mexico)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fourth ingredient group:
- 1/2 teaspoon arbol chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon New Mexico chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon monosodium glutamate
- Pinch brown sugar
- Pinch jalapeno powder
Brown the beef in oil. Add the onion, garlic, and chicken broth and simmer one hour.
After 1 hour, add the second ingredient group, and simmer for 1 more hour.
After 2 total hours of cooking time, add the third ingredient group (spices) and cook for 45 minutes.
After 2 hours and 45 minutes, add the fourth ingredient group and simmer 15 more minutes.
Recipe courtesy of George Swick, 2001 Champion