Swick and Swick Chili
- Canola or vegetable oil
- 44 ounces beef, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 5 medium cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 medium canned whole green chile peppers, seeded and finely chopped (recommended: Ortega)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup Mexican hot-style tomato sauce (recommended: El Pato brand)
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce (recommended: Hunt's)
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 1/4 tablespoons ground cumin
- 8 tablespoons California chili powder
- 2 1/4 tablespoons New Mexico chili powder, plus 1/2 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon arbol chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon adobo seasoning blend (recommended: Accent)
- Pinch brown sugar
- Pinch jalapeno powder
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef and brown. Add onion, garlic, and chicken broth and simmer for 1 hour. Add green chili peppers, beef broth, both tomato sauces, and hot sauce; simmer for 1 more hour. Add cumin, California chili powder, 2 1/4 tablespoons New Mexico chili powder, and salt; simmer for 45 more minutes. Add arbol chili powder, remaining 1/2 teaspoon New Mexico chili powder, adobo seasoning blend, brown sugar, and jalapeno powder. Simmer for 15 more minutes and then serve.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.