Swick and Swick World Championship Chili
- First group:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 3/4 pounds tri-tip sirloin, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 5 medium cloves garlic, pressed into a paste
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
- Second group:
- 2 canned whole green chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup prepared Mexican-style tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Third group:
- 1/2 cup California-style chili powder
- 2 1/4 tablespoons New Mexico-style chili powder
- 1 1/4 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fourth group:
- 1/2 teaspoon arbol chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon New Mexico-style chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon monosodium glutamate
- Pinch brown sugar
- Pinch jalapeno powder
Start the first group of ingredients: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches, add the beef and chili powder and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned. Drain the beef.
Transfer the beef to a large soup pot with the onion, garlic, and broth. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
Add the second group of ingredients, return to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, and for 1 hour.
Add the third group of ingredients, return to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
Add the fourth group of ingredients and simmer 15 minutes more. Divide among bowls and serve.
Recipe courtesy of George Swick