Tabbouleh and Chick Pea Salad
- 3/4 cup medium grain bulghur wheat
- 16 ounce can chick peas, washed, drained and chopped roughly
- 2 cups (net) finely chopped washed curly parsley
- 1/2 cup (net) finely chopped washed mint leaves
- 1 bunch scallions, green and white parts, finely sliced
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes or 2 medium regular tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Grated lemon zest of 1 lemon
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or to taste
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Boston lettuce leaves to present
- Sliced cured black olives for garnish
Cover bulghur wheat with cold water by 1 inch above the grain. Soak for 30 minutes. When plump and tender, drain the grains, squeezing out as much water as you can with your hands. Set the grains in a double layer of cheesecloth and squeeze out even more water.
Combine the bulghur wheat with chick peas, parsley, mint and scallions and tomatoes. In a small bowl combine lemon zest with olive oil and juice; season well with salt and pepper and stir into salad. Add more olive oil or lemon juice and serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of �Michelle Urvater