Taming of the Squash Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced small
- 1 stalk celery, diced small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 2 summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil leaves
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until it begins to shimmer. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme leaves, and bay leaf and saute until the onion turns translucent. Add the zucchini and summer squash, and salt and black pepper, to taste. Stir to coat with the onion mixture. Sprinkle red bell pepper over squash. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until tender about 20 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fresh basil.
2007, Robert Irvine, All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Aarti Sequeira