- 1/8 cup capers, drained and rinsed
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups black Nicoise olives, pitted
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Twelve 1 1/2-inch slices Italian bread
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
Combine the capers, anchovies, thyme, brandy and olive oil in a food processor and process until just blended. Add the olives and the orange juice and pulse until well combined yet fairly coarse.
Toast the bread on both sides under the broiler until lightly brown. While bread is still warm, rub one side with a smashed garlic clove. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat the bread on both sides with olive oil.
Sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until crisp. Serve immediately with the tapenade.