- 8 ounces trimmed beef tenderloin, sliced and very finely chopped to a smooth pulp
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 gherkins, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon strong French mustard
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- Clarified butter
- 1/4 cup smooth, dry red wine
Combine meat, onion, capers, gherkins, brandy, Worcestershire sauce, parsley and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Add egg and combine well. Drain off any excess juices and reserve. Form seasoned meat mixture into 2 patties.
Lightly flour patties. Heat clarified butter in frying pan and brown burgers on each side, about 3 minutes. Remove to heated serving dish and deglaze pan with red wine and reserved juices. Nap meat with sauce.