- 2 tablespoons black peppercorns, cracked to a medium grind
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns, cracked to a medium grind
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 4 (10-ounce) bison (buffalo) steaks, New York steak or strip loin cut
Red Wine-Shallot Marmalade:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups shallot, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
Combine the ground peppercorns and salt and liberally coat the bison steaks.
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan on medium-high heat melt the butter with the oil and sugar. Add the shallots and caramelize them for 10 minutes. Add the wine, turn down the heat to a simmer and reduce liquid to 1/4 of its original amount. Remove from heat. Add thyme and season.
On a hot grill, cook the steaks to the desired doneness.
To serve, top each of the steaks with a spoonful of the shallot marmalade. The marmalade can be hot, warm or room temperature.