Tavern Beef and Pork Pie
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (recipe follows for Roasting Pork Shoulder and Beef Chuck)
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked boneless pork shoulder roast, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (recipes follows)
- 1 cup yellow onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup red burgundy wine
- 1 cup button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small bunch fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup demi-glace
- 3 pounds purchased puff pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
In a large skillet, saute the precooked beef and pork cubes, onions and garlic in the butter over high heat for 5 minutes, until the onions are golden brown.
Add the red wine to deglaze the pan, loosening any browned bits on the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the mushrooms, basil, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper, and cook until the liquid has evaporated.
Stir in the demi-glace and cook about 5 minutes more, until all liquid has evaporated again. Remove from the heat. Spread the mixture out onto a baking sheet and let it cool for about 10 minutes. Refrigerate the mixture about 1 hour to cool completely. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out 6 (6 to 8-inch) squares and brush the edges with the egg mixture. Place 1 cup of the meat mixture in the center of each square. Fold each square over diagonally to form a triangle and press the edges firmly to seal. Using a fork, gently prick the center of each triangle to allow steam to escape. Lightly brush the edges again with the egg mixture. Arrange the triangles 2-inches apart on a greased baking sheet.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.