Taylor Bay Scallops with Uni and Mustard Oil
- 1 serving
- 5 small scallops, cleaned by fishmonger (retain shells for serving)
- 1 uni ( sea urchin), cleaned by fishmonger
- 1/2 ounce seaweed, ognori, rinsed free of salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard oil, at room temperature
- Pinch black mustard seed, freshly ground
- 1/2 tomato, overripe
- 1/4 teaspoon mirin, at room temperature
- Pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
- Coarse sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- Crushed ice (for presentation)
To make tomato water, pulse overripe tomato with coarse sea salt in a food processor. Suspend in cheesecloth and set in strainer overnight allowing liquid to drop into a large bowl. Pass liquid through a coffee filter to remove all solids and season with mirin and cayenne, coarse sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
Arrange one scallop and one piece of uni in each well-rinsed scallop shell. Pour tomato water over scallop and uni and drizzle several droplets of mustard oil over top. Garnish with crushed black mustard seed.
Place seaweed on bed of crushed ice on small serving plate. Arrange five scallop shells in a circle on seaweed bed and serve immediately.
Increase quantities to create additional servings.
Recipe courtesy of Rocco DiSpirito, Union Pacific
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse