Rack of Pork with Pear Apple Compote
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- 10 juniper berries
- 2 (6-inch) sprigs rosemary
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 (2-pound) rack of pork ( pork loin roast with 4 rib bones), frenched (ribs scraped clean of meat and fat), skin-on and scored in a 1-inch diamond pattern
- Oil, for pan
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1 Bosc pear, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper, about 1/8 teaspoon
In a small saucepan over high heat, dissolve the salt and honey in a cup of water. Remove the pan from the heat, and add the juniper, rosemary, peppercorns, bay leaf, and garlic. Let steep until the water cools to room temperature, about 20 minutes. Add the brine mixture to a large container with a lid, and add enough very cold water until you have a gallon. Submerge the pork in the brine and cover a lid. Let marinate, overnight, in the refrigerator.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Remove the pork from the marinade, rinse and pat dry, Add a coating of olive oil to an oven-safe pan. Sear the pork until all of the sides are a deep golden brown. Transfer the pan to the oven and roast the pork until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the middle, reaches 150 degrees F, about 20 minutes a pound. Remove to cutting board, tent with foil and let rest for at least 15 minutes.
While the meat is resting, prepare the compote.
Pear Apple Compote:
Drain all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the roasting pan. Put the fat in a medium pan and add the shallots. Saute the shallots over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add all of the remaining ingredients, bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the mixture until soft and thickened, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Transfer the compote to a serving bowl. Carve the pork into individual chops and serve with compote.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.