Tempura Soft Shell Crab and Asparagus with Yuzu-Maui Onion Salad
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 2 tablespoons raw sesame seeds
- 1 quart cold soda water
- 4 cleaned soft shell crabs, primes or hotels
- 12 medium, peeled asparagus
- 1 maui onion cut into thick 1/2-inch rings
- YUZU-MAUI ONION SALAD:
- 1 large, peeled and rough chopped maui onion (walla-walla or vidalia would work)
- 1/3 cup yuzu or ponzu or rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 cups salad mix containing mizuna and tatsoi
In a large bowl, mix flour, chile powder and sesame seeds. Whisk in soda water until a pancake batter consistency is achieved. In one hand, grab one crab, 3 asparagus and 2 onions rings and completely coat in the batter. Lightly drop in 350 degree oil and fry for 4 to 5 minutes until golden brown. Season with salt and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining crabs, asparagus and onion.YUZU-MAUI ONION SALAD:
In a food processor, puree everything together until smooth. Check for seasoning. Toss the salad lightly with the vinaigrette.
PLATING On a large plate, drizzle some remaining vinaigrette. Place a small mound of salad and top with the tempura crab sliced in half.
Wine Suggestion: Sancerre, Richard Bourgeois, 1997
Thank you! your flag was submitted.