Thai Green Curry Chicken
- For the Green Curry Paste:
- 2 serrano peppers, seeds removed
- 2 Anaheim peppers, seeds removed
- 1 shallot
- 1 lemongrass stalk, about 5 inches, after trimming, roughly chopped
- 1 (2-inch) knuckle ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon hot curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- For the Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons green curry paste
- 2 (14-ounce) cans coconut milk
- 2 small red bell peppers, sliced into 2 by 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 small poblano pepper, sliced into 2 by 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 small red onions, sliced in half rings
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced across grain into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups jasmine rice, cooked
- For the toppings:
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled and diced
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dry roasted and salted peanuts
- 1/2 cup coconut, toasted
- 1 cup Spicy Pear Chutney, recipe follows
- 5 ripe Bosc pears, cut in 1/2 and cored
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1/2 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
DirectionsFor the toppings:
To make the Green Curry Paste: In a food processor, combine the peppers, shallot, lemon grass and fresh ginger, and pulse to roughly chop. Add in anchovy paste, spices and oil and puree to form a paste.
In a large heavy pan over medium-high heat, add the oil and 3 tablespoons of the green curry paste. Stir rapidly for 1 minute, then slowly add the coconut milk. Stir for 2 minutes and bring to a boil. Add in the peppers and onions, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
In a large measuring cup, combine lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Slowly pour into simmering coconut mixture. Add in the chicken pieces and bring to a low boil. Simmer for 25 minutes, adjusting with additional curry powder, curry paste, and salt, if needed.
To serve: Serve rice in individual bowls, top with curry, then garnish with your choice of toppings.
Spicy Pear Chutney:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Add the pears and garlic cloves to a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, 1 teaspoon of the red pepper flakes, salt and lemon juice in a small bowl .Sprinkle over the pears and toss to evenly coat. Arrange pears cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Flip pears over and pour a little bit of the maple syrup into each divot where the core was removed. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more, then remove to a cutting board and let cool. When cool enough to handle, peel and dice.
While the pears are cooling, combine the remaining ingredients in a small nonreactive saucepan, and bring to a simmer over low heat. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Combine the pears and the sauce and refrigerate in a covered container for 24 hours, and up to 1 week.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.