Thai Grilled Beef Salad
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Magazine
- Total Time:
- 1 hr
- 45 min
- 15 min
- 2 servings
- 3/4 pound flank steak
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 small fresh red or green Thai chili or serrano, seeded and minced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 scallions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup packed fresh coriander leaves, washed well and spun dry
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 seedless cucumber
- Fresh coriander sprigs
Preheat broiler or prepare grill.
Rub flank steak with black pepper, pressing it into meat. Grill steak on an oiled rack of a broiler pan, about 3 to 5 inches from heat 6 to 7 minutes on each side for medium rare. Or, grill over glowing coals 5 to 8 minutes on each side for medium rare. Transfer steak to a cutting board and cool. If desired, chill beef, loosely wrapped, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day to facilitate thin slicing. Cut beef across the grain into very thin slices.
In a large bowl stir together lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and chilies until combined well (sugar should be dissolved if using).