Thai-Style Rice Crackers with Persimmon Sambal
- 2 cups boiled white rice (still hot)
- 3 firm fuyu persimmons
- 2 tablespoons dried shrimp, soaked in warm water and chopped
- 1/2 lime, minced (flesh, peel and all)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced with seeds
- 1/2 bundle Vietnamese mint or cilantro leaves
Spread the hot leftover rice in a thin layer on a sheet pan and place in a 200 degree F oven overnight or until dry and crispy. Let the rice continue to dry at room temperature for another day for best results.
Break the rice into large chunks and deep fry at 375 degrees F until they puff up and float, approximately 1 minute. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
Grate the persimmons on the large hole of a cheese grater, add the remaining ingredients, and adjust seasoning.
Let sit for 5 minutes before serving to let flavors blend. Serve the rice crackers with the dip. Best if eaten within 4 hours.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.